The town of Lismore in County Waterford, Ireland, is beautifully situated on the banks of the river Blackwater and at the foot of the Knockmealdown mountains. Though much of the town centre dates from the 19th Century, Lismore's historic roots go back over a thousand years earlier, to the foundation here in the year 636 of a monastery by St. Carthage (also known as St. Mochuda hence the name of our company Lismore Mochuda Development Co Ltd).
Lismore was one of the principal monsteries of the Irish church. From here in the 7th Century St. Cathaldus went forth to found a monastery at Taranto in southern Italy. In the 12th Century Lismore was at the forefront of a great movement to reform the Irish Church and bring it into line with continental Europe, a goal that was achieved by a former student of Lismore named Malachy who as Archbishop of Armagh was Primate of all Ireland and who after his death was the first Irish saint to be canonised.
Vikings also visited the town and burned the monastery on eight occasions. By the 12th century Bishop Christian was appointed Papel Legate.
The Normans took control of the town during their conquest of the country.
In 1171 King Henry II of England ordered the building of a castle in the town and by 1185 Prince John completed the work. Lismore Castle was the birthplace of Robert Boyle the celebrated scientist whose name lives on in "Boyles Law"
The modern town was planned and built during the 19th century and is now one of Ireland's "Heritage Towns".
Further information on the history of Lismore can be found on the Lismore Heritage Centre web site.